By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Tech Consumer JournalTech Consumer JournalTech Consumer Journal
  • News
  • Phones
  • Tablets
  • Wearable
  • Home Tech
  • Streaming
  • More Articles
Reading: ‘Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark’ Sequel Stuck in Rights Limbo, Says Director
Share
Sign In
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Tech Consumer JournalTech Consumer Journal
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Phones
  • Tablets
  • Wearable
  • Home Tech
  • Streaming
  • More Articles
Search
  • News
  • Phones
  • Tablets
  • Wearable
  • Home Tech
  • Streaming
  • More Articles
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Contact
  • Blog
  • Complaint
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Tech Consumer Journal > News > ‘Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark’ Sequel Stuck in Rights Limbo, Says Director
News

‘Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark’ Sequel Stuck in Rights Limbo, Says Director

News Room
Last updated: May 20, 2026 5:11 pm
News Room
Share
SHARE

André Øvredal has built a respectable career as a horror director since his 2010 breakout Troll Hunter. His 2016 follow-up, The Autopsy of Jane Doe, was an underappreciated gem. But it was his next film, 2019’s Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, that put him in the big leagues. All-around legend Guillermo del Toro produced and got a “story by” credit on Scary Stories (the final draft was credited to screenwriters Dan Hageman and Kevin Hageman), which automatically brought it more attention. Upon its release, the film was mostly well-received, though some critics noted that it wasn’t particularly scary.

Still, nostalgia for the classic children’s books written by Alvin Schwartz and illustrated by Stephen Gammell on which the film is based, coupled with its potential and del Toro’s clear passion for the subject matter, made it an obvious candidate for a sequel. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 2 was announced in 2020, and by 2023, Øvredal said the script was written and actively being revised. Since then, though, there haven’t been any more updates—at least, not on the creative side.

In the time since Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark‘s release, two of the production companies behind the movie, CBS Films and eOne, have shut down. Now, Øvredal says that has created a rights issue that has been difficult to navigate. He told /Film:

What I can say is that it’s been stuck in a bit of a copyright ownership hell with two studios that don’t exist anymore, that produced a movie together, CBS Films and EOne, and they don’t really exist anymore. […] The rights spread out to two other companies, and then they have to agree to figure it out between them, and that has taken some time, but there is movement. We do have conversations about it once every couple of months, and there is currently some movement, I’m gathering. But it becomes about legal departments and not about creatives, because we have a story that I love that is just ready to go whenever somebody decides, ‘I own the movie, let’s go make it.’

It’s an especially frustrating development because Øvredal is clearly still passionate about and committed to the film—it’s just legal issues that are standing in the way.

Øvredal’s new horror film, Passenger, hits theaters on May 22.

Want more io9 news? Check out when to expect the latest Marvel, Star Wars, and Star Trek releases, what’s next for the DC Universe on film and TV, and everything you need to know about the future of Doctor Who.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Neurosurgeons Are Weirdly Optimistic About Cryonics for Life Extension, Survey Finds

‘Saccharine’ Is Body Horror at Its Most Squirm-Inducing

Scientists May Have Finally Figured Out Why Most People Are Right-Handed

‘King Conan’ to Begin Filming Next Year

Bring Disneyland Home With This Gorgeous New Lego Set

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Previous Article ‘Saccharine’ Is Body Horror at Its Most Squirm-Inducing
Next Article Neurosurgeons Are Weirdly Optimistic About Cryonics for Life Extension, Survey Finds
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

248.1kLike
69.1kFollow
134kPin
54.3kFollow

Latest News

Colorado Reports Its First Hantavirus Death Since 2024
News
SoftBank Insiders Are Reportedly Worried Their CEO Keeps Falling for Wallet Inspectors
News
Trump’s AI Executive Order Will Reportedly Make Sharing Models with the Government Voluntary
News
NASA’s MAVEN Detects Atmospheric Effect on Mars That ‘No One Expected’
News
Minnesota Becomes First State to Ban Prediction Markets, Feds Immediately Sue
News
Organic Ice Cream Recalled for Unexpected Ingredient: Metal
News
We’ve Never Actually Seen Earth’s Protective Bubble. This New Mission Aims to Change That
News
Google Search Is Dead. Welcome to the Era of the ‘Intelligent Search Box’
News

You Might also Like

News

Google’s Gemini Omni AI Model Promises to Create ‘Anything’ From Any Type of Input

News Room News Room 3 Min Read
News

Google’s Wear OS Watches Are Now Mere Companions to Smart Glasses

News Room News Room 4 Min Read
News

Trump-Linked Crypto Company Notes ‘Substantial Doubt’ It Can Survive Another 12 Months

News Room News Room 6 Min Read
Tech Consumer JournalTech Consumer Journal
Follow US
2024 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?